Delivering Comparable Programmes – LB Hounslow
We were impressed by Branduin’s proactive approach in many areas, from outreach to programme design, monitoring and administration. We were also excited by some really impressive programme outcomes regarding job creation and new business won as a direct result of Branduin’s support.
Tom Brooks – Business services & Investment, London Borough of Hounslow.
In January 2017 Branduin Business Support were contracted by Hounslow’s Economic Development Office and Skills teams to provide training and mentoring services to micro-businesses in the London Borough of Hounslow with the specific remit of upskilling business owners who displayed lower business skills than the average for other London Boroughs.
The key deliverables and outcomes were:
- Business Training Workshops – 240 businesses
- 1-2-1 Business mentoring – 75 businesses x 6 hours each
The project was managed by BBS who were responsible for liaison with the Council’s programme managers and for producing project specific documentation and an agreed audit trail. BBS managed all bookings for workshop and mentoring places via www.businesssupporthounslow.co.uk and submitted a monthly report to the Council outlining details of all participants, the nature and hours of the training provided & the total hours of support delivered. The marketing of the programme was supported by Hounslow Chamber of Commerce, the UK Asian Business Council, Asian Women Mean Business and a number of other local business groups.
Some of the highlights of an independent survey of programme participants were as follows:
- 100% of respondents said they had improved their business skills as a result of participation in the programme.
When asked to evaluate this improvement on a ‘before and after’ basis the average participant skills had improved by 2.15 points (from an average of 1.975 to 4.125).
- 66% of participants in the Workshop programme and 80% of participants in the mentoring programme said that their participation was likely to lead to job creation.
Average figures quoted by these businesses equate to 1.8 jobs per Company.
- When the average figures are extrapolated across the total number of participants it is estimated that 326 new jobs will be created at a cost of £255 per job.
Duration of Scheme: 14 months
Target Achievement: 100%+